USDIndex settled at 101.50, Wall Street rallied on the back of tech amid ongoing hopes for a downshift in Fed rate hikes amid a potential moderation in inflation this week. Fears of a recession and the potential for the worst quarter of earnings in seven years were put aside for now. Microsoft announces today but news it is investing $10 bln in OpenAI, the maker of ChatGPT provided strong support for investors.
- The USD Index failed to extend above 102, while it returned to 101.50, as Treasuries cheapened amid the gains in risk appetite and the pressure of upcoming supply, including $120 bln in shorter dated Treasury coupons and a hefty corporate calendar.
- EUR – is flirting with the 1.09 mark for 7th time the past 2 weeks.
- JPY – pullback to 129.70.
- GBP – holds above 1.2400. Today, UK public borrowing data showed a rise along with debt financing costs – the highest borrowing figure for December on record and a much higher number than anticipated.
- Stocks – The US500 breached 4058 but closed at 4019 (+1.19%), with the US100 up 11930 and the US30 +0.8%, to 33700. The Nikkei rallied 1.46% and European stock futures are higher. Logitech quarterly sales fell 22% as slowdown fears bite. Advanced Micro Devices AMD 9.22% added $6.46, or 9.2%, to $76.53 and Nvidia NVDA 7.59% rose $13.54, or 7.6% to $191.93.
- USOil – steady at $81.50, as USD decline and expectations of rising Chinese demand support crude prices.
- Gold – breaks 9-month high today, extending to $1,941.40 high.
- BTC – extends above 23,000 area. For how long?
Today – German, Eurozone, UK and US flash S&P Global PMIs are due today. New Zealand and Australian Inflation for Q4 is also on tap. Biggest FX Mover @ (07:30 GMT) USDJPY (-0.45%). Rejects 130.70 for a third day in a row. MAs aligned lower, MACD histogram & signal line are close to neutral zone. RSI 42 & flat, H1 ATR 0.200, Daily ATR 1.920.